Mavuno needs you.
We’re looking for brilliant, passionate people whose skills are matched by a radical commitment to Mavuno’s mission. We’re not a clock-in, clock-out kind of team. We’re inspired by our vision and we’ll do what it takes to accomplish it, even when that means long hours or working outside our job descriptions. We’re a small, flexible team of co-workers turned friends, and we need you to fill the gap.
We currently have the following positions available:
If you have a skill set that you believe would be an asset to Mavuno, please don’t hesitate to contact us, even if a matching position is not listed. In particular, we are always accepting applications for internships from students in the Seattle and Kansas City metro areas. Click here to apply for an internship.
VP of Marketing
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA
Mavuno is looking for a VP of Marketing for our office in Kansas City, Missouri.
Mavuno is a nonprofit organization that empowers local leaders in eastern Congo to end extreme poverty in their own communities. We organize communities and build businesses at the grassroots level. Because we believe that all people have the inherent potential to thrive through business, we put their own talents and resources front and center. Poverty is a complex problem, so we train communities to organize into locally-led organizations that direct all of our programming in any given village. We help launch businesses at all levels, from roadside vegetable markets to international companies. Ultimately, we envision a peaceful and prosperous Congo where all people can create their own future. The Congolese themselves will make that vision a reality.
The VP of Marketing will be one of the primary leaders within Mavuno’s core leadership team. This person will engage with the leadership team, especially the VP of Communications, to create and execute a robust digital marketing strategy.
- Become intimately familiar with Mavuno’s mission, approach, theory of change, and communication style.
- Evaluate Mavuno’s fundraising, development, and communications strategy, and create an integrated marketing strategy that advances the organization’s mission in collaboration with other team members.
- Work closely with the VP of Communications on the creation and deployment of content for social media and print.
- Plan and execute crowdfunding campaigns.
- Analyze data from social media, web site, and published content. Enact rapidly pivoting strategies in response to data analysis.
- Participate in leadership-level discussions about areas of Mavuno outside of marketing. Contribute to the direction and momentum of the organization as a whole.
- Occasionally travel to Seattle, St. Louis, other domestic locations, and East Africa (<15% travel time)
- Demonstrated passion for the organization’s mission, approach, and theory of change
- Must live our values and be a model servant-leader in the organization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Initiative. Must be highly proactive and take initiative to get things done. Mavuno is not a directive culture. This position must find the gaps and independently advance Mavuno toward its vision with little supervision.
- Flexible and able to work effectively in challenging and changing environments; calm under pressure.
- Team-player with demonstrated experience in capacity-building and mentorship
- A desire to accomplish the mission; whatever it takes. This is not a “clock in / clock out” position, and this person must have the drive to work whatever hours may be required to get the job done.
- High EQ; must be able to forge great partnerships in cross-cultural contexts .
- Highly personable – easily gains the trust and confidence of others.
- Experience in startups, pitching, and working with investors.
- Leadership experience in complex environments.
- Ability to translate marketing concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have marketing backgrounds.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Professional working proficiency in French (or willingness to learn).
- Legally permitted to live and work in the United States.
- Willingness to travel to the DRC, Uganda, and Rwanda.
Educational Requirements: There are no specific degree requirements. Candidate must be a life-long learner. In your cover letter, please state your level of education and how you are currently and plan to continue your education and professional development. Someone with genuine entrepreneurial tendencies, a passionate commitment to the mission, and a relentless drive to succeed is more important to us than a specific degree.
Application Details: Please email your resume and a cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Design Internship, Spring 2017
Description: Mavuno, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that works to end extreme poverty in eastern Congo, is offering a Design Internship for Fall 2016. This unpaid position will create beautiful things to help Mavuno communicate with stakeholders such as donors, prospects, board members, and collaborators. It provides a unique opportunity for a student to learn and apply design skills to a real-world situation while making a verifiable difference in the lives of Congolese farmers. The internship will be tailored to your educational and career interests. Additional educational applications include product design, illustration, nonprofit administration, fundraising, writing, international development, etc.
- Create images for publication on social media.
- Create customized thank you cards for major donors.
- Design print documents, web content, email newsletters, and more.
- Assist with other on-demand design tasks as requested.
- Position is based remotely within either Kansas City or Seattle, with frequent collaboration in-person and on Google Hangouts.
- From 10 to 40 hours/week, depending on the requirements of the internship program.
- Internship is unpaid.
- Offered Spring of 2017.
Application: To apply, fill out this form. For any questions, email email@example.com. Applications must be received by August 15th.