Mavuno needs you.
We’re looking for brilliant, passionate people whose skills are matched by a radical commitment to Mavuno’s mission. We’re not a clock-in, clock-out kind of team. We’re inspired by our vision and we’ll do what it takes to accomplish it, even when that means long hours or working outside our job descriptions. We’re a small, flexible team of co-workers turned friends, and we need you to fill the gap.
We currently have the following positions available:
If you have a skill set that you believe would be an asset to Mavuno, please don’t hesitate to contact us, even if a matching position is not listed. In particular, we are always accepting applications for internships from students in the Seattle and Kansas City metro areas. Click here to apply for an internship.
Location: Seattle, WA or remote
Type: part-time, 3-6 months. Unpaid
Mavuno is looking for an Agriculture Intern.
Mavuno is a nonprofit organization that empowers local leaders in eastern Congo to end extreme poverty in their own communities. We organize communities and build businesses at the grassroots level. We help launch businesses at all levels, from roadside vegetable markets to international companies. Ultimately, we envision a peaceful and prosperous Congo where all people can create their own future. The Congolese themselves will make that vision a reality.
The Agriculture Intern will play a critical role within the organization by supporting our key agriculture programs and building capacity for future growth.
- Collaboratively identify areas for improvement in current agriculture techniques and research appropriate suggestions for growth (for example, ways to increase production and quality, reduce losses, increase irrigation capabilities, adjust to climate changes etc.)
- Research, identify, and recommend indicators for monitoring and evaluating agricultural production (livestock and crops)
- Contribute to data collection methods and feedback loops to ensure information is used effectively.
- Create database of resources on agriculture, soil, and climate trends throughout the region including land, water requirements, soil quality, micro-climates etc.
- Conduct literature reviews as needed on topics related to food security, smallholder farming versus commodity crop farming, value addition, market trends, etc.
- Research training and capacity building opportunities for agronomists and agricultural technicians.
- Write blogs, reports, or briefs as needed to contribute to communications needs.
- Demonstrated passion for the organization’s mission, approach, and theory of change
- Initiative – must be highly proactive and take initiative to get things done
- Team-player – willingness and ability to collaborate and communicate effectively
- Experience working with smallholder farmers or with Ag-extension
- Experience or familiarity with global agricultural programs, preferably in east Africa
- Academic exposure to agricultural research, understanding of ag-policy, and the ability to rapidly recognize and synthesize agricultural research information.
Educational Requirements: There are no specific degree requirements, but a graduate student in Ag-econ, Ag-science, International Development, International Studies, or similar field is preferable. In your cover letter, please state your level of education and how you are currently and plan to continue your education and professional development. Someone with genuine entrepreneurial tendencies, a passionate commitment to the mission, and a relentless drive to succeed is more important to us than a specific degree.
The internship may be utilized for course credit pending school requirements. If you are interested in this option, please indicate that in your cover letter.
Application Details: Please email your resume and a cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Influencer Marketing Internship, Summer 2017
Description: Mavuno, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that works to end extreme poverty in eastern Congo, is offering a Influencer Marketing Internship for Summer 2017. This unpaid position will identify a landscape of social media influencers whose target demographics and brand profile make them suitable for potential partnerships.
This internship provides a unique opportunity for a student to learn and apply marketing and social media skills to a real-world situation while making a verifiable difference in the lives of Congolese farmers. The internship will be tailored to your educational and career interests.
- Create search criteria for influencer analysis.
- Create a database of potential influencers.
- Prepare reports on influencers.
- Imagine and develop plans of approach for selected influencers.
- Position is based in Kansas City, MO, at PlexPod Westport Commons, with frequent international collaboration on video calls.
- From 10 to 40 hours/week, depending on the requirements of the internship program.
- Internship is unpaid.
- Offered Summer of 2017.
Application: To apply, fill out this form. For any questions, email email@example.com